This week’s article brings a detailed review of some of the research about points and rewards in gamification. I started by thinking about points, but then I found it hard to separate then totally from rewards as they are often presented as a form of reward. So, the article talks about them both.
In the article, you will find:
- A table describing eight different types of rewards;
- A table describing five ways to use points effectively and one way to avoid;
- A review of what three psychological theories say about rewards: operant conditioning, goal-setting theory, and self-determination theory;
- Which types of users say that they prefer points and rewards;
- A list of six guidelines for the effective use of points and rewards in gameful design.
The complete, 7-page PDF article is available for instant download today for patrons pledging at least $5/month and next weekend for those contributing at least $3/month.